It’s no myth that hydration is key to soft, supple skin. And, while you tend to the skin on your face, why not pamper your pout as well? Over the past few years, ‘lip mask’ has become a buzzword in the realm of beauty and skincare. Gaining popularity as we speak, these masks work the same way that sheet masks do for our face – Hydrate, heal and moisturise.
If your face requires immediate hydration post makeup, why not your lips? Your favourite matte lipstick might fetch you a dozen compliments and your lip-licking habit might satisfy your compulsion, but keep in mind that you’re going to be the one who has to deal with its after effects. Experts including Dr Jaishree Sharad- Celebrity Cosmetic Dermatologist, Dr Kiran Lohia- Isya Aesthetics, and Dr Rinky Kapoor- Cosmetic Dermatologist, weigh in on whether these masks are really worth it.
Lip masks contain the same vital ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, cocoa butter, almond oil, collagen and glycerine, which are essential for hydration. Primarily of two types, you could either leave a lip mask on overnight, while some others solely require a 15-20 minute application.
Keep a look out for these expert-approved lip masks:
Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask Berry, Rs.1,150
Kiehl’s Buttermask for Lips, Rs. 2,500
Clinique Pep-Start Pout Restoring Night Mask, Rs.1,550
Tips to remember when using a lip mask:
1. Lying down when applying a lip mask will make it work better.
2. Make sure that you don’t speak while the lip mask is on, to avoid it from coming off. Some lip masks come with a hole, so that you can breathe through.
3. Remember to exfoliate your lips before using a lip mask.
4.Dry your lips before and after applying the lip mask.
5. Apply a SPF lip balm during the day.
6. Using a lip mask once a week is enough to keep dry and cracked lips at bay.