What are the simple steps I can follow to keep my skin healthy?
- Sun Protection
- Skin Renewal
These four steps go a long way in maintaining a healthy skin which is the source of long lasting beauty.
How do I know my skin type?
Types of skin:
- Normal: Even tone, soft, a smooth texture, no visible pores or blemishes, and no greasy patches or flaky areas.
- Dry: Patches of flaky areas on skin, sensitive.
- Oily: Greasy skin, open pores, likely to have pimples and dandruff.
- Combination: Part of the face eg. T zone is oily and rest of the face is normal to dry skin.
How can I take care of Normal skin?
- Cleaning twice a day with a mild face wash, with pH same as that of the skin, and water and toned with something mild, like rose water. Avoid face washes with strong fragrances and agents like salicylic acid. Face washes containing very mild amounts of alpha hydroxyl acids can be used.
- At night, to keep your skin’s normal moisture- balance, apply a thin film of light moisturizer.
- Guard against the drying, aging effects of the sun by using a sunscreen daily with a high spf and UVA protection factor and makeup products that contain a sunscreen.
- Monthly facials and regular dermatological treatments such as light peels and microdermabrasion are very effective exfoliating tools, and are widely used for skin polishing, skin glow and to prevent sagging and loose skin.
How do I take care of dry skin?
- Use a hydrating face wash with ph same as that of the skin. Do not wash the face very often as it will lead to further dryness of the face.
- Toner is not recommended for this skin type.
- Cleansing must be followed by a good moisturizer with vitamin E, squalene, omega fatty acids, etc. with good hydrating properties. Get good products suiting your skin type in consultation with a Dermatologist.
- Sunscreen use is advisable as for normal skin, it may be supplemented with moisturizing factors.
- Weekly use of hydrating masks and hydrating facials once in one to two months are beneficial.
How do I take care of oily skin?
- Use a foaming face wash, which may contain tea tree oil, mild amount of alpha hydroxyl acids, or mild salicylic acid. 3 – 4 times a day face wash may be required to remove the dirt and grease.
- Visible large open pores can be managed with an alcohol free toner after cleansing.
- Oily skin does not need moisturisation.
- Use a non greasy sunscreen, nowadays there are many good non greasy sunscreens in the market.
- Use water based make up only, and be sure to remove it with cleansing milk.
- If you suffer from pimples, please consult the Dermatologist to prevent further complications like scarring, and pigmentation. There are very effective medicines available now which can dramatically improve this skin problem.
- Monthly clean ups and dermatological treatments such as peels, microdermabrasion and also lasers are very effective anti acne tools, and are widely used for skin polishing, skin glow and to prevent as well as treat the complications of acne.
What is the basic care routine to be followed for healthy and beautiful hair?
Oiliness starts appearing after two or so days of hair wash.
Requires twice a week cleansing.
Frizzy hair without the normal sheen. Difficult to comb, lifeless.
Requires cleansing with moisturizing shampoos and moisturizing conditioner. Anti frizz serums, gels etc. are available in the market. Deep conditioning treatments and hair masks are required for severe cases.
Starts becoming greasy within a day after hair wash and it .Requires frequent shampooing.
Similar to dry hair.
Use products specifically meant for coloured hair only.
About 50 hair fall daily and 75- 100 hair fall on the day of hair wash is normal. Any excessive hair loss warrants dermatological intervention.