How long does it take to see results from mesotherapy? Here are expert and doctor verified answers to all your questions related to mesotherapy
What is mesotherapy? Inevitably, we look at ourselves one day, and there is something about our body that we want to change. Maybe it is the fine lines on the forehead or the dull look on the skin because of the screen time every day, or it is just the fat pockets that refuse to budge even when you are exercising right. Mesotherapy is there to help. “Mesotherapy” is a non-surgical, minimally invasive method consisting of multiple intradermal or subcutaneous injections of a mixture of compounds. It is known to have a range of applications, particularly in the area of cosmetic dermatology. Few of them include – Skin lightening, Skin Rejuvenation, Anti-aging, Cellulite reduction, among others. “One of the most common treatments is Mesolift / Mesoglow, which improves the texture and tone and collagen remodelling resulting in a general repair and rejuvenation of the area treated. These injections are given in minute doses with a wide range of compounds, e.g., Anti-oxidants, vitamins, plant extracts and other bioactive substances. The volume of cocktail to be injected, depth of penetration of the mesotherapy needle and number of sessions needed for various uses change according to the patient’s requirements and has to be decided and treated by a certified dermatologist” states Dr Alekya Singapore, Dermatologist at Apollo Spectra Hospital, Kondapur Hyderabad.
What is the procedure of mesotherapy and what solutions are used?
Dr Saurabh Shah, Dermatologist, Bhatia Hospital Mumbai shares that, “a misoperation gun or insulin syringes are employed to infuse the skin with meso–solutions that contain potent micronutrients, antioxidants and vitamins to rejuvenate and revitalise the skin. The antioxidants and vitamins in the injections help to stimulate the cells to produce collagen and elastin. Many contents like hyaluronic acid in the meso-solutions trigger ‘neo collagenases,’ i.e. production of new collagen in the skin, giving it a youthful and fresh look. They help in evening out the wrinkles. Glutathione and Tranexamic acid-based meso – solutions help reduce skin pigmentation. L carnitine and Phosphatidylcholine shots help reduce the subcutaneous fat. Similarly, biotin and minoxidil based injections help control hair fall and promote hair regrowth.”
What can mesotherapy treatments be used for?
Mesotherapy can be used to address many skin and hair problems ranging from dehydration to hair loss. This subtle technique provides hydration to the skin and gets the skin cells functioning at an optimum level. Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist & Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics shares that, mesotherapy treatments can be used to:
- Stimulate collagen production leading to tightening and supple skin
- Destroy the fat pockets and help in spot weight reduction
- Get rid of stretch marks post-weight loss and pregnancy
- Fade acne scars and other scars over time
- Give healthier and younger-looking skin
- Moisturize the skin from inside out
- Reduce skin pigmentation and tan
- Help recover from hair loss
- Get rid of the double chin
- Reduce the fine lines
- Reduce cellulite
What are the benefits of mesotherapy? Explains Dr Rinky Kapoor, Dermato-Surgeon
To get the most benefits from Mesotherapy, the formula injecting in the skin or scalp makes all the difference. A single mesotherapy cocktail can contain up to 50 ingredients. The injections are delivered through a mesotherapy gun, and those who don’t like the needles can opt for no needle mesotherapy! The pros or benefits of mesotherapy include:
- It does not merely sit on the skin but works deep under the skin, translating to long-term benefits.
- The whole process is minimally invasive, which means no time off work and quick results.
- Regular mesotherapy sessions can accelerate skin’s natural anti-ageing capacity.
- Reduce subcutaneous fat and cellulite (Lipolysis)
- Skin Rejuvenation and glow on the skin
- Low downtime and no bandages
- Reduce skin pigmentation
- Promote hair growth
- No scars or pain
- Control hair fall
Does mesotherapy have side effects? Explains Dermatologist, Dr Saurabh Shah
Mesotherapy procedure could have some minor side effects. Immediate side effects from mesotherapy treatment may include redness, pricking, stinging and a burning sensation, lasting up to two to three hours at the injection sites. At times there may be a bruise in patients with sensitive skin and at delicate areas around the eyes, cheeks and jawline. Swelling and bruising typically peaks 8-24 hours after treatment and may last for up to 2 -3 days. They usually settle very well with cold compresses and routine anti-inflammatory tablets. Rarely, very few patients may experience nodules or hardening at the injection site, which may warrant a short course of antibiotics. Beware of counterfeit products and false claims, always check the brand’s authenticity and make sure you clear things with your dermatologist before opting for mesotherapy.
Here are some FAQs related to mesotherapy
- Mesotherapy vs botox treatment: Mesotherapy brings nutriment to the deeper skin folds while botox stops lines and wrinkles. Botox is more useful for those pesky furrows. Some people want the beautiful face and beautiful lips like Bollywood celebs, and some want to make their kind of pouts, for this, they use Botox injection. Botox injections are popular not only for lips but also for facial changes. The injections numb the area around the lips and bring them to a good shape without any pain.
- Who is eligible for mesotherapy treatment? If you want to remove cellulite or excess fat from your thighs, abdomen, buttocks, hips, legs, arms and face; so you can go for mesotherapy. The treatment helps you reduce wrinkles and lines and at the same time lightens your pigmented skin. Besides, if you are suffering from baldness, mesotherapy may be useful.
- What are the guidelines after mesotherapy treatment? There is no strict and challenging routine to follow after mesotherapy, but you will need to follow the guidelines provided by your doctor. Do not apply any pressure at the injection site. Consult your doctor as soon as you feel the side effects are disrupting your daily routine.
- How long does it take to improve after mesotherapy treatment? You may have to go for 3-10 sessions to get the results you want. Mesotherapy is non-invasive. In severe cases, you may need to take off for a day due to swelling or itching.
- Who is not eligible for mesotherapy treatment? Mesotherapy should only be done in severe cases. Light fat on your body can be managed by taking proper diet and working regularly.
- What is the cost of mesotherapy treatment in India? A session of mesotherapy can cost between ₹ 15000 – ₹ 40000 depending on the area affected.
- Are the results of the mesotherapy treatment permanent? Most of the treatment results are permanent.
- Mesotherapy is not a treatment, and it is a transformation technique. Traditional fillers etc. are still popular, but mesotherapy is fast becoming the preferred alternation to heal the skin and get the glow. Mesotherapy is a non-surgical injection technique that involves giving multiple injections to the skin or hair to deliver micro amounts of a mix of vitamins, minerals, nutrients, growth factors, peptides, antioxidants and trace elements essentials to the dermis or epidermis layer of the skin.
- Developed by Dr Michael Pistor, a French physician, Mesotherapy implies a relatively non-invasive and non-surgical technique that uses micro-injections of pharmaceutical preparations (primarily macro-minerals and; micronutrients) containing plant extracts, vitamins, antioxidants and other ingredients into the skin. Initially, these micro-injections were injected into the subcutaneous tissue to reduce the fat content locally. However, now it is used for various cosmetic indications ranging from – skin rejuvenation to hair regrowth.