How to get rid of Dark Circles Permanently?
Panda eyes are cute only on pandas. In humans, dark circles are an indication of a problem. They are stubborn and cause a dark shadow over the youthful appearance of the face. Nobody likes to look like a panda but in the modern world of hectic lifestyles, it is hard to meet a person who is not struggling with dark circles.
And they only get worse with a crazy or little sleep schedule. While home remedies do help in calming them a bit, they don’t solve the problems. You cannot simply rub the dark circles out. Not all dark circles are the same and hence there is no one dark circle removal treatment that works for everybody.
Dark circles or periorbital dark circles can make your entire appearance look tired, haggard, sleepy, and aged before time. The reason is that the skin around the eyes is very thin and delicate and therefore any changes that happen under the skin first start to show up under the eye skin only.
It is not actually impossible to treat them as long as you treat their cause too. Dark circles are always unwanted and they can take a toll on your personal and professional life. You can try using creams and lotions that claim to get rid of dark circles permanently but they do not work that well.
For the complete removal of dark circles permanently you need professional treatments by an expert dermatologist, make some lifestyle change and take really good care of your skin.
Cause of Dark Circles
The right treatment begins by identifying the cause and treating it correctly. The sooner you start treating them the better the result. There are three types of dark circles: Pigmented dark circles that are caused because of uneven pigment distribution, vascular dark circles that appear as blue, pink, or purple discolouration under the eyes, and structural dark circles that cause shadows under the eyes because of lack of fat and skin laxity.
There are many factors that can direct or indirectly cause dark circles. Some of these include
- Age: None of us are getting any younger so if you have not seen dark circles appear as yet then there are chances they might soon show up. This happens because as age increases the collagen and fat under the eyes start to get thinner and the dark blood cells under them start to show a dark tint to the skin.
- Genetics: these types of dark circles are also known as periorbital circles. If you see them occurring often in your family tree then chances are that genetics is causing them. They appear in a bluish and purple hue under the eyes.
- Allergies: Every persistent cold or nasal congestion could be a reason as they cause the veins to dilate and become darker in colour.
- Screen time: It is difficult to avoid screen time but we must because it causes strain on the eyes.
- Lack of sleep
- Hormonal changes in the body
- Disturbed body cycles
- Lack of a nutritional diet
- Not wearing sunglasses and sunscreen to protect the eyes
- Lack of hydration
- Insulin resistance and blood disorder diseases
- Changes in body weight
- Chronic rubbing
- Alcohol and smoking overuse
- Low hemoglobin levels
- Hyperpigmentation in the under-eye area
- Hay fever
- Sinus congestion
Getting rid of the Pesky Dark Circles Permanently
If you too have been trying hard to get rid of the dark circles permanently then here are a few dermatologist-recommended treatments that can help you
These creams can help treat dark circles caused because of pigmentation. They should only be used as directed by the doctor as overuse can cause damage to the eyes and even permanent scarring. Also, not all creams are appropriate for everybody so consult your doctor before applying anything. It takes about four to six weeks to see results with regular use of creams. The commonly used creams for dark circle treatment are
- Retin-A or retinoid creams increase melanin content in the skin and stimulate collagen production.
- Hydroquinone is used in small concentrations and disrupts the production of melanin in skin
- Kojic acid these are naturally derived substance and helps reduce the darkness under the eyes.
- Glycolic acid
- Azelaic acid
These are used to treat dark circles caused by volume or fat loss under the skin which gives the eyes a sunken appearance and the area appears dull, dark, and wrinkled. The most commonly used filler for dark circle treatment is hyaluronic acid. These fillers improve collagen production and improve the health of the skin, reduce wrinkles, and generally brighten up the under-eye area. Soft tissue fillers last for about a year. Fillers are not a suitable treatment for pigmented or vascular dark circles.
Laser Treatments for Dark Circle Removal
Lasers are fast becoming the norm for treating various skin-related problems. They are a safe, quick, and effective way of minimizing dark circles permanently without damaging the skin in any way. Laser is an excellent treatment for Indian skin tones. The most common types of lasers used for dark circle treatment include CO2 lasers, Fractional CO2 lasers, QS Alexandrite lasers, QS Ruby lasers, Fraxel lasers, and Nd: YAG lasers. The type of laser used will depend on the type of dark circle, and the skin type. Lasers work simply by using heat energy to target the damaged cells and vaporize them. Laser treatment is typically done in 2-3 sessions but you can see the difference from the first session itself. Laser treatments are permanent.
Peels are a chemical solution that is applied to the skin. The chemicals target the layers of skin to treat skin concerns. Light and medium chemical peels are used to treat dark circles caused because of hyperpigmentation. The most common ingredient in these peels is glycolic acid, retinoic acid, or lactic acid. Peels remove the upper layer of the skin to reveal pigment-free smooth and even-toned skin.
This is an invasive method of treating dark circles which cannot be treated by another non-surgical method. This surgery is done by an oculoplastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon. The surgeon removes the fat from the lower eyelids by making small incisions in the folds of the eyes. In order to get smooth wrinkle-free skin, the surgeon might also clip the skin a bit to give a fresher and alert appearance to the eyes. Lower lid blepharoplasty to smooth dark circles is done under anesthesia and the surgery can last for up to three hours.
Autologous Fat Transplant
This is a simple procedure to use the fat from the person’s body in injected them into hollows under the eye areas. This fills the gap under the check and under the eye area. the results are smooth and less fatigue eyes.
Treatments to remove dark circles will last longer if you take good care of yourself and work towards preventing them from appearing again. Tips for preventing dark circles permanently are very simple and these include
- Getting proper sleep every day. Sleep for at least 7-8 hours every day and if possible, maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Try to keep your head elevated when sleeping. This will prevent the blood from pooling under the eyes and causing swelling.
- If you feel that the eyes are strained then use a cool compress to reduce the vasculature
- Always wear sunscreen of SPF 30++ minimum.
- Invest in good UV protection sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun damage, wrinkles, and pigmentation.
- Add vitamin C serum or creams to your morning skincare routine. Vitamin C fights free radicals, reduces skin discolouration, and improves collagen production under the skin.
- Keep a watch on your diet and make sure you limit the intake of sugary or salty foods. Include healthy vitamins and minerals in your diet every day. Stay hydrated by drinking water at regular intervals.
- Exercise regularly and include meditation and facial yoga exercises in your routine.
- Avoid passive smoking and being overweight. Cut down on smoking and alcohol use.
Dark Circle Removal Treatment Cost
Permanent dark circle removal is a very effective treatment for both men and women. the cost of the treatment mainly depends on the cause of the dark circles and the treatment method used. Dark circles are caused because of many reasons and the doctor will first aim to correct the causes and then move on to removing the appearance of dark circles. Different types of dark circles need different treatment modes for example structural dark circles are best treated with soft tissue fillers and pigmented dark circles respond to laser treatments better which will increase the cost of the treatment. Discuss with your practitioner about the cost and duration of the treatment including the payment plans.
The cost of permanent removal of dark circles also depends on the location of the clinic, the surgeon’s expertise, etc. if you combine other skin rejuvenation procedures with it the cost might increase.