5 Situations When You Should See a Trichologist
Hair woes are a common problem in adult men and women. For people in their 20s upwards, being conscious about hair fall and hair thinning is a common issue. Solutions for hair fall is one of the most top ranked searches in popular search engines. While hair loss can be because of many reasons such as stress, illness, ageing, lack of nutrition, medical conditions and the severity varies from one to another, the resulting distress, worry and lack of confidence is same for everyone. Hair issues do not discriminate with age or gender and if you too have been facing an issue with the same then consulting a hair expert or a trichologist doctor or a dermatologist will have surely come up in your mind or come up as a suggestion from family, friends and the internet.
Whether you are suffering from any kind of alopecia, hair breakage, dandruff or scalp irritation or are generally worried about your hair health, it is important that any treatment you take should be advised by a qualified professional only. The common doubt to come in mind is whether to see a trichologist doctor or a dermatologist and what can the trichologist help with anyway.
What is a trichologist?
Modern science has evolved with time and it has taken years of research and analysis to develop the excellent hair loos and hair regrowth treatments that we have at our disposal today. Today trichology is a recognized paramedical science that focuses on treating disease that cause the hair health to decline. It includes scalp conditions too. A person who specializes in trichology is known as a trichologist.
A trichologist in Mumbai is a trained and qualified hair loss specialist. Trichologist in Mumbai is the one you should go to when having any kinds of hair and scalp conditions that may be causing damage to the hair. The trichologist doctor will study your hair and scalp via physical examinations and some tests to determine your hair cycle, your hair heath and what is causing the issue with scalp. A trichologist is a paramedical and hence can help your physician and you understand the causes of hair loss such as deficiencies and medical issues better. They focus solely on hair and scalp health and nothing else. A trichologist will work with you and your physical to device the right hair care routine to stimulate hair growth.
When should you see a trichologist?
- You are experiencing more than normal hair loss
- You have noticed abnormal hair breakage
- Scalp itching, and inflammation
- You are suffering from embarrassing dandruff
- You are dealing the alopecia
How will the trichologist help you?
The consultation with a trichologist doctor begins with getting to know their clients. During the meeting the trichologist will ask you about your medical history, the issues that you have been having with your hair, delve in to the genetic factors that might be causing the issues, gather information about your daily lifestyle , work, stress conditions, environmental factors and other health conditions affecting your scalp and hair health. Be candid with your trichologist in Mumbai regarding any medications you are taking, hormonal issues, deficiency in nutrition so that they can draw a complete profile.
While they are not medical doctors, they can offer a range of non-medical and non-surgical treatments to address common issues related to hair and scalp health. Here are some treatments and interventions that trichologists may provide:
- Scalp Examination: Trichologists can perform detailed scalp examinations to assess the health of the scalp and hair follicles. They use various tools and techniques to identify issues such as dandruff, dryness, oiliness, and inflammation.
- Hair Care Advice: Trichologists can provide personalized recommendations for hair care routines, including guidance on shampoo and conditioner selection, hair styling practices, and the use of hair care products.
- Topical Treatments: Trichologists may recommend over-the-counter or prescription topical treatments for specific scalp conditions, such as medicated shampoos, conditioners, or scalp serums to address issues like dandruff or psoriasis. They can even recommend treatments like the QR678 hair regrowth therapy and PRP treatment to improve hair growth.
- Scalp Massages: Trichologists may perform or teach patients how to perform scalp massages, which can help improve blood circulation to the scalp and promote hair growth.
- Dietary and Nutritional Guidance: best Trichologists in Mumbai may offer advice on nutrition and dietary changes that can support hair and scalp health. They may recommend supplements like biotin or iron if a deficiency is suspected.
- Lifestyle Modification Suggestions: Best Trichologists in India may discuss lifestyle factors that can impact hair health, such as stress management, smoking cessation, and reducing exposure to environmental factors that may damage the hair and scalp and suggest modifications in the same. Exercises regularly, keeping stress under control are two things that can greatly aid the hair health.
- Hair Loss Prevention: Trichologists can provide guidance on preventing hair loss or minimizing its effects. This may include recommending specific hair care products, avoiding tight hairstyles that stress the hair follicles, and suggesting protective measures against heat and sun damage.
- Advice on Hair Restoration Options: While trichologists do not perform surgical hair restoration procedures themselves, they can educate patients about available options, such as hair transplant surgery, wigs, extensions, weaving etc and refer them to qualified specialists when appropriate.
- Education and Support: Trichologists often play an important role in educating patients about their specific hair and scalp conditions, helping them understand the causes, and offering emotional support and reassurance.
Trichologists in Mumbai typically focus on non-invasive and non-medical approaches to address hair and scalp concerns. If a medical condition is suspected as the underlying cause of a hair or scalp issue, they may refer the patient to a medical doctor or dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment.
What do trichologist treat?
The variety of conditions relating the hair and scalp that trichologist doctor can diagnose and treat include
- Scalp psoriasis: it is usually a genetic condition and can causes scalp skin in the scalp often confused with dandruff. Best trichologist in Mumbai will be able to differentiate and offer treatment accordingly.
- Ringworm: Once can contract this fungal infection from a person or animal suffering from ringworm. It causes dry and red patches along with hair loss and the new hair usually grow in different angles than the normal pattern. The scalp becomes tender and sore.
- Alopecia: There are different kinds of alopecia such as androgenetic, scarring, telogen effluvium, frontal fibrosing etc. Pattern hair loss is the most common type of alopecia though. Hormonal imbalance, family history, change in living environment, stress etc can trigger alopecia. Trichologist doctor will identify the type of alopecia and treat it accordingly.
- Thyroid disorders
- Hair loss because of trauma and chemical damage
- Cradle cap in children
- Damaged hair texture because of use of heat and chemical and dryness
While trichologists have expertise in their field, there are certain limitations to what they can do:
- Medical Diagnosis and Treatment: Trichologists are not medical doctors, so they cannot diagnose or treat medical conditions beyond those related to the hair and scalp. If a hair or scalp issue is a symptom of an underlying medical problem, they may recommend consulting a physician for a comprehensive evaluation.
- Prescribe Medications: Trichologists typically do not have prescribing authority for medications. If a patient requires prescription medications for hair or scalp conditions, a trichologist would need to refer them to a medical doctor or dermatologist.
- Perform Surgical Procedures: Trichologists do not perform surgical procedures, such as hair transplant surgeries. If a patient requires surgical intervention for hair restoration, they would be referred to a qualified surgeon with expertise in the specific procedure.
- Treat Systemic Conditions: Trichologists primarily focus on issues related to the hair and scalp. They do not treat systemic conditions that affect the entire body. Any systemic health concerns should be addressed by a medical doctor or specialist.
- Conduct Laboratory Tests: Trichologists may perform hair and scalp assessments, but they typically do not have access to advanced laboratory facilities for comprehensive testing. If specific laboratory tests are needed to diagnose a condition, they would refer the patient to a relevant healthcare provider.
- Provide Dental or Oral Care: Trichologists are not trained to diagnose or treat dental or oral health issues, even if they may be related to certain conditions affecting the mouth and scalp, such as alopecia areata. Patients with oral health concerns should see a dentist or oral healthcare professional.