Our skin is a delicate organ and the largest one too. It acts as a barrier to the internal organs’ external factors and is a tough job. It takes a toll on skin health, especially the facial skin. The first reason is that the facial skin is thinner than the rest of the skin and therefore the effects of all the hard work it does start to show up on it sooner. The second reason is that the skin on the face is exposed to the damage of UV rays because we usually cover the rest of the body but often neglect or don’t do enough for the face.
The result is often early signs of aging, accumulation of dead skin cells, patches, dry skin, acne, etc., on the face’s skin. While we all try to follow simple skin care routines daily, the skin demands some unique treatments regularly. One such skin rejuvenation treatment is Microdermabrasion treatment. It is a cosmetic treatment that gently removes the top layer of the skin using a physical hand-held device. A skin care specialist does this procedure, and the goal is to transform the appearance and feel of the skin.
What is Microdermabrasion?
It is a mechanical exfoliation procedure that removes the dead skin cell layers from the skin to reveal smooth and softer skin under it. Next, the surgeon moves a microdermabrasion device with an abrasive tip over the skin to gently target the problem areas. Post microdermabrasion, your skin will grow like never before. Microdermabrasion is a combination of three words: micro+derm+abrasion. Micro means small, derma stands for the skin, and abrasion means scraping or removing. Hence, it is a microscopic abrasion of the top layer of the skin.
How does Microdermabrasion work?
The device is a cylindrical handpiece that has a vacuum attached to it. The tip of the device has a thin layer of crushed crystals. The tip moves on the skin, and the suction device gently removes the dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion creates a uniform pressure on the skin, so the effects are even. The treatment lasts 30-40 minutes; hence, it is called a lunchtime procedure, and you might feel mild pain, but that is very momentary. For example, microdermabrasion on the neck takes only 20 minutes to complete. The treatment is done in many sessions spaced 2-3 weeks apart, depending on the skin type and age. There are three types of Microdermabrasion.
- The one that uses diamond tip handpiece: this is one of the most popular types of skin rejuvenation treatment and can be used safely around the eyes as is exact. The depth of this treatment depends on the amount of pressure the skin specialist applies.
- Crystal microdermabrasion: This type of skin exfoliation sprays fine crystals over the skin, then gently rubbed off to remove the outer skin of dead cells. The crystals are removed using the suction device.
- Hydra dermabrasion: This is the latest in Microdermabrasion and uses water and oxygen spray to ‘abrade’ the skin instead of a diamond tip or crystals.
Advantages of Microdermabrasion
This type of skin rejuvenation treatment can take care of your many skincare woes, such as blackheads, dull and damaged skin, blackheads, and signs of aging. But that is not all. Microdermabrasion has many other skin benefits too. Here we have listed the top 5 benefits of Microdermabrasion that make it one of the best skin rejuvenation procedures.
- It helps thicken the collagen: This is one of the long-term benefits of Microdermabrasion. Collagen is a protein that the body produces, and it is essential to keep the skin elastic and plump. When we are young, the body has plenty of collagen that holds the complexion and texture even toned and taut. However, collagen production declines with age, hampering the skin’s appearance. Microdermabrasion creates minute injuries to the epidermis that trigger the natural healing process, i.e., producing thicker and new cells and increasing the amount of collagen. This results in smoother, tauter, and plumper skin over time
- It helps reduce and manage acne and scarring: A long-lasting benefit of Microdermabrasion is that it can positively affect acne and reduce the visibility of light and superficial scars. In addition, Microdermabrasion removes the dead skin cells. As a result, it improves circulation bringing in more nutrients and oxygen to the scared area, helping diminish the appearance of the scar and healing the damaged tissue. The removal of dead skin cells also clears up clogged pores and blackheads and reduces the occurrence of acne.
- Reduces signs of aging such as lines, wrinkles, dull skin, and pigmentation: This is one of the most common reasons for seeking Microdermabrasion. You can see the results even after one session too. Natural aging, stress, and photoaging can make your skin look dull and old before time. Microdermabrasion treatment done at regular intervals erases the fine lines and wrinkles and gives the skin a natural brightness over time.
- Improves the skin’s ability to absorb products better: This is especially helpful when you are trying to get rid of pigmentation, dark spots, and acne from the skin. The surface abrasion by the treatments improves the skin’s ability to absorb the skin care products better. As a result, the dead skin is removed, and pores are more apparent. Hence the vitamin C serums or the hyaluronic acid you use on the skin works better and faster post-Microdermabrasion.
- It is fast, convenient, and non-invasive: being a lunchtime procedure, this skin treatment does not require anesthesia or staying in the hospital. There is no downtime except a bit of redness on the skin, which goes away in a few days.
Who can get Microdermabrasion?
Any healthy male or female struggling with problems like age spots, uneven skin coloration, sun damage, and acne scars can opt for Microdermabrasion. It will even out the complexion and soften the light fine lines and wrinkles. However, it is only effective when done by a skilled aesthetician.
The results of Microdermabrasion can be seen immediately and keep on improving for up to three months post the procedure. After that, the doctor will recommend another treatment schedule depending on your skin type and the results of skin rejuvenation. Smoking, alcohol and not wearing sunscreen can damage the skin’s healing, and you might not get the desired results.
Microdermabrasion is a cost-effective treatment and does not need any hospital admission. The price of Microdermabrasion in India varies with many factors, such as
- The experience, expertise, and qualifications of the specialist
- The number of sessions needed
- Type of Microdermabrasion done
- Any additional treatments combined with it such as lasers etc.
- The location of the clinic
Since it is a cosmetic procedure, the insurance does not cover the cost of Microdermabrasion.
Microdermabrasion is a straightforward way to get healthy skin. It has grown in popularity because it works, and the results are indisputable. Talk to your dermatologist about your concerns and which is the ideal treatment plan for your skincare path. Getting started early on the skin rejuvenation treatments helps the skin maintain a youthful and restful look for years and years.