The Pros and Cons of Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment for Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing treatments are the gold standard for skin treatments for the Indian skin. The temperature in Indian subcontinent are on the warmer side all through the year and the sun shines brightly. The skin gets exposed to the harmful sun rays and leads to many problems such as dry skin, early onset of wrinkles, skin weathering, fine lines etc. These are the issues that one normal faces with old age but exposure so sun can bring them forward before their time. The result is that you start looking tired and old and the skin loses its natural lustre.
Fractional laser skin treatments are the simple and quickest way to see long lasting results in wrinkles and fine line treatments. While other ablative and non-ablative lasers are good for the skin, they do not give the same precise results as a fractional CO2 laser. This is a new-age treatment for the skin which can treat a range of skin problems without damaging the skin. The pros of fractional CO2 laser treatments far outweigh the cons of the treatments.
Who can get a laser CO2 treatment
- People who have an otherwise healthy skin but facing with problems such as facial wrinkles, age spots and fine lines
- Adults with saggy skin, acne scars, facial scars and blemishes etc.
- People looking to correct uneven skin tone and pigmentation
- Patients seeking treatment for skin tan or damage because of UV rays
How does this treatment work?
Lasers are essential beams of light that can reach under the skin and help heal various skin issues. They do not use any chemical on or in the skin or sand or abrade the layers of the skin. Lasers target the dermis under the skin and cause the collagen to regenerate and tighten the elastin fibres to give the smoother and brighter look to the skin on surface with fewer lines and wrinkles. There are no incisions made in the treatment or need for stiches.
The fractional CO2 laser targets the deeper skin tissue layers and gently ablates it in a fractioned manner i.e., it works on the columns of the problem areas of the skin and does not affect the other parts of skin. The light rays heat up the skin creating tiny heat channels under the skin which in turn triggers the body’s natural healing response and activate natural collagen production for faster tissue healing.
Apart from anti-aging treatments such as wrinkles, fine lines and pigmentation, lasers can also treat
- Uneven skin tone and texture
- Dull skin
- Sun damage and age spots
- Acne and other scars such as surgical and accidental
- Skin laxity
- Reduce stretch marks
- Reduce the appearance of prominent spider veins
- Tighten skin pores
- Remove unwanted hair from the body including underarms and pubic area.
And it is not just the face, laser treatments can also be safely used on face, neck, chest, hands etc.
How is Fractional CO2 laser treatment done?
- The skin is prepared by cleaning the dirt, oil and bacterial from it and sanitizing it. do not wear makeup on the day of the treatment.
- Then the doctor will apply a local or topical anaesthetics to the area which will help make you comfortable during the procedure.
- The dermatologist will mark the treatment areas and use the targeted CO2 laser beams to repair the wrinkles, lines and other skin damages.
- The skin is then wrapped to protect it and heal it properly.
- You can go home and about your normal activities the same day.
Pros of Fractional CO2 skin resurfacing treatment
This type of laser skin treatments can reduce your skin trouble such as wrinkling by almost half. It is an excellent treatment giving dramatic changes even in deep wrinkle and fine lines. The overall improvement in skin texture is sure to earn you many compliments for your age defying looks. Here are some advantages of opting for this procedure for skin treatment
- Its side effect is skin tightening. Which is actually a hidden benefit of the procedure. The results continue to improve for about a year after the treatment.
- It has a much shorter recovery time then other skin resurfacing procedures such as chemical peels and microdermabrasion. There is no pain during the procedure.
- It takes only just 60-90 minutes per session and results continue to improve over the year
- Results are visible in just one treatment
- Fractional CO2 laser can be combined with other treatments for the skin such as use of injectables and surgical cosmetic procedures.
- Higher patient satisfaction ration because Fractional CO2 laser treatments can be used on all skin types and in all age groups.
- Less pain and shorter recovery time (just a couple of weeks)
- Better long-term results than other treatments. Fractional CO2 laser promotes natural healing of the skin. Therefore, it not only gives immediate skin correction results but also the results keep improving over the next one year.
- Creates more youthful appearance. The older you are the difficult it is to recover from the surgical skin correction procedures. Fractional CO2 lasers give faster and better results without the usual drawbacks of a surgical procedure.
Cons of fractional CO2 laser treatments
Laser treatments as anti-ageing option is a cosmetic treatment and it goes without saying that you need to take good care of your skin post the treatment. If you don’t then the fractional laser might not give the results that you are seeking
- For up to two weeks, you might have tender skin and require cleaning of the skin and application of ointment to prevent scabbing and bring down the redness and inflammation.
- If you are not using proper sun protection then the skin might become more pink or red
- Sometimes fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing can cause pigmentation to the areas that are not treated.
- You might notice more acne or an exacerbated condition because of the creams and bandages.
- Touching the healing area increases the risk of infection. In some cases, the treatment can aggravate or reactive the herpes and cause cold sores.
- Skin might become lighter or darker after the treatment
- In rare events scaring might happen
- It will take about 3 weeks to see the full results
- Pre and post treatment protocols need to be followed seriously
- Fractional CO2 laser treatment cost in India is a little on the costly side
The very fact the fractional CO2 laser treatments promote the skin to heal itself is quite incredible. It is an efficient way to get dramatic changes in your skin in just one session. All you need to be aware of is the downtime and discomfort and be prepared to handle it as the doctor suggested. It is not a rush treatment. For some this treatment might not even work, for example
- People who are prone to sun damage or cannot avoid sun
- Patients who are prone to pigmentation
- Patients who have a tendency to get hypertrophic scars and keloid scars
- People suffering from vitiligo, psoriasis etc.
- Patients undergoing radiation and chemotherapy
The cost of fractional CO2 laser treatment in India can vary depending on factors such as the location, the reputation and experience of the clinic, and the extent of the treatment required.
On average, the fractional CO2 laser treatment cost in India can range from Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 20,000 per session. However, the cost may be higher or lower depending on the factors mentioned above.
It is important to note that the cost of fractional CO2 laser treatment should not be the only factor to consider when choosing a clinic or doctor. It is also important to consider the qualifications and experience of the doctor, the reputation of the clinic, the technology used, and the after-care services provided.