THE BENEFITS OF BOTOX INJECTIONS: HOW THEY WORK AND WHAT TO EXPECT
Whether you are new to skin care or a pro, the name you cannot miss is Botox. Botox (a product of Allergan, Inc) is the miracle drug that fights gravity and time and restores the youthfulness on the face that one always wants. It is one of the most effective tools for preserving the beauty of the skin.
We age and our skin ages with us. Fine lines, wrinkles, droopy skin, are the part of the ageing process but that does not mean they have to appear before time or we have to live with them because they are there. We form hundreds of expressions in a day and the repeated movement of the facial muscles causes formation of crow’s feet, forehead lines and furrows, smile and frown lines and a dull skin. Our body loses about 1% of collagen every year since the time we are born and its ability to replenish this loss diminishes as time passes.
Since we cannot stop making expressions, the next best thing is to opt for the non-invasive Boto injections. They are one of the most common cosmetic procedure done in the world and one of the most popular ones too.
What are Botox injections?
Botox injections are safe and effective way to reverse the signs of ageing without getting under the knife. Botox facial rejuvenation today can help you delay a surgical facelift in the future.
Botox or botulinum toxin is a type of a protein that is found in nature. It is produced by bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Its main function is to act as a neurotoxin in both cosmetic and medicinal uses. Though the Botox bacteria can be found in many places around us such as soil, forests and the intestinal tracts of mammals and some fishes. It is a harmless therapeuticmolecule which when ingest can cause a condition called botulism which can cause toxicity. This is a highly potent compound and even 1gm of the protein toxin can kill over 1 million people. Hence it is highly regulated and is to be only administered by licensed professionals in a sterile environment.
Botox treatment in Mumbai has many different commercial preparations and is available in two forms:
Type A: This includes the brand names used for various cometic surgery and facial rejuvenation preparations such as onabotulinumtoxinA (Botox), abobotulinumtoxinA (Dysport), incobotulinumtoxinA (Xeomin), daxibotulinumtoxinA (Daxxify) and prabotulinumtoxinA (Jeuveau).
Type B: this isrimabotulinumtoxin B (Myobloc) and is used to treat neck spasms.
Botox injections are crystalline form of Botox diluted with a saline solution for injection in the skin.
What can a Botox injection treat?
Many things. In the early the use of Botox started with a known treatment for some eye and movement disorders. But it was soon discovered that it is an excellent anti-ageing tool for men and women. It is now been over 50 years that Botox is being successfully used with FDA approval in treating various ailments. The cosmetic uses of Botox have been prevalent since the last 30 years.
Medical uses of Botox in Mumbai
- Strabismus or the lazy eye syndrome or crossed eyes
- Cervical dystonia also known as neck spasms
- Wry neck
- Excessive sweating i.e., hyperhidrosis
- Chronic migraine headaches
- Muscle contractures especially in cases of cerebral palsy
- Involuntary twitching of eyes
- Overactive bladder or bladder dysfunction
- Urinary incontinence
- Paediatric upper limb spasticity i.e., stiffness in body parts hindering with normal work routine
- Muscle spasticity in adults
- Pain management for back, neck, jaw, joints, sciatica pains
- Pelvic pain
- TMJ pain
Cosmetic uses of Botox injections
They are used as an anti-ageing skin rejuvenation treatment for
- Reducing the appearance of crow’s feet i.e., canthal lines
- Minimizing glabellar lines that appear between the eyebrows and are visible as 11 when you frown or squint
- Treatment of wrinkles
- Minimizing lines on the corner of the mouth or smile lines
- Reducing cobblestone skin on the chin
- Treating horizontal necklace lines
Botox is also used in some hair treatments.
How do Botox injections work?
Our muscles move or function when they get a signal from the brains through the nerves to contract or expand. The messenger between the nerve endings to the muscles is a chemical called acetylcholine. Botox is a neurotoxin and it influences the nerve response to stimuli. When injected in the skin it blocks the chemical never signal by paralysing the nerve function. This way the muscles remain relaxed and don’t get the signals to contract or become stiff. This gives an instant smoothening effect to the entire face.
Botox injections are thin needle syringes that are injected into the skin or muscles of the face or the areas needing treatment. the number of units needed depends on the size of the area of treatment. In the hard to reach or tricky areas the cosmetic surgeon might take the help of ultrasound to guide the needle. Your dermatologist can treat several areas in one session of Botox treatment in Mumbai.
Why Botox injections?
There are many benefits of Botox treatment in Mumbai including
- It is FDA approved for various cosmetic treatments
- It is safe when administered by a licensed doctor
- Its comfortable and relatively pain free
- There is no downtime
- Has multipurpose uses that can be done in one session
- Is an easy and affordable way to get rid of lines and wrinkles
- Can be easily used with other facial rejuvenation treatments such as fillers and lasers
- It is an excellent option for people who want to see how a surgical facial rejuvenation will look or are afraid of going under the knife.
- It is a very low risk anti-ageing treatment
Botox injection treatment procedure
Botox treatment in Mumbai is an outpatient procedure and does not take more than 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete.
Before the Botox treatment
Tell your surgeon about
- about your past history and the expected results
- recent plastic and cosmetic surgeries
- if you are taking any allergy medications, muscle relaxants or sleeping medicines
- prescription blood thinners
During the treatment
- the areas to be treated are cleaned with an antiseptic solution and sanitised
- the dermatologist might use a numbing cream to lesser the sensation of pinprick pain.
- the botulinum toxin is mixed with saline
- the thin needle injection is then injected into the neuromuscular tissue.
- Usually, the areas around forehead need about 4-5 injections and around eyes can be done with 2-3 injections. The neckband Botox treatment can need up to 20-50 units.
- The cosmetic surgeon might massage the area a bit to ensure evens spread and prevent and reduce bruising
- You will have to lie down for 2-5 minutes after the treatment is done and then you can go home
The results take about 24-72 hours to show up and full results take about three days to show. The effects of Botox injections are limited only to the area treated and it does not spread through the body so that only the intended areas are targeted. Botox injections create a younger, happier, rested and natural pleasant expression without the facial movements being affected or looking unnatural.
Post procedure care for best results
Following the best procedure care will help you recover quickly and get the best possible results. Here is what you can do
- Avoid recline and lying down 3-6 hours post the treatment. this will ensure proper diffusion of the toxins.
- Do no massage, touch, or press the treated area immediately after the treatment. this can result in uneven distribution of the toxin
- Do not do any strenuous activities for a few days post Botox injection treatment.
- Avoid making too intense facial expressions or doing facial massages or exercising.
- Bruising or swelling post the treatment will do down in a few days
Risks and side effects of Botox treatment in Mumbai
Botox is not a bacteria, it is a toxin that is produced by a bacteria and therefore there are no chances of the bacteria thriving in your body or making your sick. The amount used in the cosmetic and medical Botox treatments is a fraction of amount needed to cause any toxic poisoning. The chances of following types of complications are very small:
- Dry eyes
- Muscle weakness
- Bladder control issues and urinary problems
- Pain and swelling on the injection side
- Vision issues
- Headache and flu like symptoms
- Problems in speaking or swallowing food
If you face any problems then contact your cosmetic surgeon immediately.
When to repeat Botox injections
Botox is a temporary solution and the results are visible for 3-4 months. Retreatment is needed to maintain the results. With regular treatments the muscles train themselves to contract lesser and lesser and hence the treatments can be spaced apart longer durations. Your doctor will let you know about the next treatment based on the needs of your skin.
Botox treatments are not suitable for people who are pregnant or breastfeeding. You should also avoid Botox injections if you have a neuromuscular disease, droopy eyelids, infections. Botox might not be very successful in reducing advanced wrinkles and in people with of elasticity of the skin.
Botox treatment cost
Botox treatment in India is a very affordable treatment. The basic cost various from location to location and other factors influencing Botox treatment cost in India are
- The type of Botox injection used
- Cosmetic or medical purpose
- The area of treatment or the number of areas treated
- Location of the clinic
- Doctor’s fees
- Number of Botox units needed
Some clinics also offer a discounted packaged that cuts down the cost of Botox treatment in India if you book a set of treatment in advance. Cosmetic Botox treatments are not covered by insurance but the medical treatments might be covered by your insurance. Check with your insurance provider to verify the coverage.