CHEMICAL PEEL TREATMENT: IS IT WORTH THE COST? A LOOK AT THE LONG-TERM BENEFITS
Winkles, blemishes, signs of ageing, tanning, spots etc take us away from the beauty. One easy and effective tool to fight and keep these things at bay is the use of chemical peels. Chemical peels are an effective skin exfoliation technique that treat variety of skin condition and give cosmetic improvements at an affordable price.
It is quite natural for the question to come in mind that are the results and long term benefits worth the cost? Lets first see what affects the cost of chemical peel treatment in India.
Chemical peel treatment cost
The cost of chemical peel treatment in India varies on various factors such as
- The type of peel used: Superficial or light peels which use light acids like alpha hydroxy acids or retinols or glycolic acids cost the least and can cost about 2000 to 5000 Indian rupees. It takes about 4-6 peels to get the desired results. Medium peels cost about 5k to 10k per session and deeper chemical peels such as TCAs cost from upward of 10000 Indian rupees but only one peels is required but has a longer downtime.
- The package of peels i.e. most clinics offer a discounted price if you book for more sessions of chemical peels in advance.
- Peels should only be done by a licensed dermatologist and the experience of the practitioner is also included in the cost.
- The location of the clinic
- The extent of the treatment i.e., if there are other treatments combined with it or the number of sessions needed are more.
Beauty is not just skin deep
Chemical peels are skin rejuvenation treatments that are applied on face, hands and neck. They not only improve the appearance and feel of the skin but also
- Improve cell turnover
- Stimulate new collagen production in the skin as the dead skin cells are removed the new skin cells multiply and move to surface and it is a signal for the body to start healing and improve collagen production. It also boosts the natural hyaluronic acid production
- Improve skin tissue elasticity
- Helps the dermal matrix to improve
- Improves the texture, clarity, and smoothness of the skin
- Gives an overall youthful and rested appearance to the skin
- Visibly reduces the signs of ageing such as pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. Deep peels are used for removal of deep wrinkles and softening deep fine lines. Deep peels are a one time treatment and can treat the signs of ageing on forehead, eyes and mouth.
- Improves the appearance of scars and acne scars. Peels will unclog the pores on your skin and remove blackheads and white heads and deposit ingredient in the skin that help fill up the acne marks. Specific chemical peels can be highly beneficial for the acne prone skin too.
- Decreases rosacea redness
- Improves skin barrier function and makes the skin stronger and tolerant
- Helps in better absorption of skin care products. The chemical peels takes away the dull surface of the skin along with it and the skin is more receptive to skin care products. You will notice that the skin care products work better and are more effective.
- Minimizes sun damage. The skin reels under the effects of sun damage and it cause hyperpigmentation. A mild chemical peel removes the sun spots, freckles and other problems caused by sun damage and blotchiness.
- Helps control melasma: melasma can be caused because of certain treatments or hormonal fluctuations or because of pregnancy or birth control pills. The use of chemical peels reduces these surface dark spots.
- Can be customized easily: Chemical peel skin rejuvenation is a big market because peels are a low risk treatment. they are safe for most skin types and colour and do not cause hyperpigmentation. Top dermatologists mix and match different acids to treat the specific skin concern and hence they are not a one-size-fits-all approach for your skin worry.
- Treats precancerous growths: The growths such as acitinickeratoses are growths that can be potential indication of skin cancer. The use of deep chemical peels can help remove the growths and reduce the risk of cancer.
How do chemical peels work?
Chemical peels cause minute subclinical injuries to the skin and promote natural healing through the simple process of exfoliation. The acid solution is applied on the area to be treated and left on for few minutes. It causes the skin to exfoliate and eventually peel off. The damage skin cells are removed and the skin starts the natural healing process without scarring or colour changes.
The dermatologist will first clean your skin thoroughly and apply the chosen peels. The peels are of gel like consistence. You might feel a slight burning sensation for a few minutes. Once the peel is wiped off you are left with a silk like smooth skin.
How do they work on the skin
Our skin is made of layers. Chemical peels work on the top two layers of the skin the epidermis and dermis. The epidermis is the layer you see and dermis is just under it. In the deeper layer of the skin are the sweat glands, hair follicles and nerve endings. Chemical peels is a controlled exfoliation of skin cells from epidermis and the top layer of the dermis.
When talking about the cost vs effectiveness of various chemical peels it is important to remember that your health and beauty are priceless. Working with the best dermatologist and choose the best peel treatment for your skin type and concern is the best way to ensure that the cost of the chemical peel treatment pays off and you get the best long term benefits. The common types of chemical peels include
Superficial peels: These are the mildest form of peels that use AHAs to gently exfoliate the top layer of the skin.
Medium peels: These penetrate the middle and outer layers of the skin and commonly use trichloroacetic or glycolic acid to remove the dead skin cells and correct skin concerns.
Deep peels: These acid solutions reach the middle layer of the dermis and exfoliate the skin to remove damaged skin cells.
A chemical peels does exactly what it promises. However when not done correctly or when more aggressive chemicals are used it can do more damage to the skin than expected. Just like any other skin rejuvenation treatment chemical peels can also cause some side effect such as darkening of skin colour, scarring, and infections. But these are mostly the result of a poorly done chemical peel. People who have good and genetically healthy skin are the best candidates for chemical peels. However those who have other skin issues like sagging skin, permanent wrinkles and scars, tendency to develop cold sores, history of abnormal scarring, psoriasis, or are pregnant or have a compromised immune system should not opt for chemical peels as it will not give the results that they expect.
For the best results always seek the advice of a experienced physician or a qualified practitioner with an questions you have regarding the effectiveness of chemical peels you’re your skin. Good professional advice should never be disregarded when it comes to seeking the best for your skin.