Beyond the Cost: Understand the Value of Full Body Chemical Peel in India
At some point of our lives, each one of us has wished that there was a magic solution that could just peel away all the skin issues including the pesky acne and the wrinkles. The good news is that there is a solution like the one you have wished for, and it goes by the name of chemical peels.
Chemical peels are simple and often customized acid solutions that offers instant skin benefitting results. Of course, they are formulated by only the expert cosmetic surgeon and dermatologist. You cannot just pick up any chemical and apply on the skin. Up until a few years ago main thought of chemical peels was restricted to just face and there were only few basic ones available but the modern peels come with many options that are better for certain skin types than the regular peels.
Chemical peels are one of the most sought after cosmetic treatments around the world for revitalizing the skin. More and more men and women are opting for regular peel treatments to keep the skin healthy and younger looking. The customizable chemical peels can take care of
- Acne scars
- Light scaring because of injuries
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Open pores
- Skin discolouration
- Melasma and sun spots
- Uneven skin texture and tone and removes keratosis pilaris
- Stretch marks
- Body acne and prevent future breakouts
- Skin dryness
- Precancerous lesions and so much more
How do chemical peels work?
Chemical peel formulas are designed in a way that they exfoliate the skin. This removes the dead skin cells and skin imperfections. The new skin layer that comes is much healthier, smoother and younger looking. You can look at it as a skin resurfacing treatment too. the acid and chemical used in chemical peels cause a controlled trauma in the skin which tricks it into going a natural healing mode. chemical peels improve the collagen and elastin production in the skin and thus result in long term improvement of signs of ageing and other skin issues.
The use of chemical peels is an FDA approved cosmetic treatment for skin. they have a very minimal downtime and side effects. The concentration and list of active ingredients in the peels vary according to the skin’s need for rejuvenation and hydration. For example, for acne treatment antioxidants peels are used for scaring and anti-ageing the surgeon will use different acids like the AHAs to stimulate skin renewal.
Types of chemical peels
Depending on the strength of the peel and how deep it penetrates the skin, the peels are classified into three types superficial peels, medium peels and deep chemical peels. The most common acid peels that you will hear in this classification are Alpha Hydroxy acid peels, Beta Hydroxy acid peels, Trichloroacetic Acid Peels (TCA), and Phenol peels. Cosmetic surgeons can tailor the chemical solutions according to your skin types. Using the correct peel is most essential part of a chemical peel treatment. Full body chemical peel cost in India is largely determined by the type of peel used on the skin. The surgeon will also suggest the combination of best skin care, and cosmetic products that will complement the chemical peels tailored especially for you.
The choice of the peel is decided by the skin texture, tone and the problem that one is trying to address. For example, hyperpigmentation will need a different peel than deep wrinkles. Lighter skin types can withstand stronger peels but darker skin tones might need a gentle chemical peel. The common peels include
Light chemical peels
These are used to gently exfoliate the top layer of the skin only. Thes are also known as superficial peels. These chemical peels are generally used to treat fine lines, dry skin, minor acne, mild pigmentation and uneven skin tone. AHAs and BHAs are the most common chemical solutions used in these. The common types include
- AHA or Alpha Hydroxy Acid (glycolic acid peels):This is the best known peels for deep exfoliation of the skin. It is also known as the fruit peals and is made of the combination of citrus fruits, lactic acid, tartaric acid and malic acid. Since glycolic acids has a small molecular structure, it can easily reach in the deep layers of the skin. The acid dissolves the dead skin cells. It used to treat mild scarring, blackheads and white heads, wrinkles and fine lines. These are the easiest to apply because of the gel based form.
- BHA or Beta Hydroxy Acid (salicylic acid peels):Most popular for the treatment of mild acne and blackheads, the BHA is a lipid based peels and penetrate in the layer of dermis by attaching to the natural oils of the skin. This way they also clear out the congested pores and reduce skin inflammation. This peel is also safe to use on most skin types even those not suitable for other kinds of peels
- Lactic Peel:The acid for this is derived from milk, they can hydrate the skin and are very gentle on the skin. Not only moisturizing, the lactic peel also helps in reducing the pore size and makes the skin shades brighter. This peel is also good for patients with eczema, rosacea, and psoriasis and is often used as a party peel for the instant glow.
- Mandelic acid peel:This type of peel is most popular for treatment of acne. Since it is anti-bacterial it will also help prevent future breakouts.
- Jessner’s peel:This is one of the most popular types of peels and can be easily customized on strength based on the amount of acids used. This peel has been in use for over a hundred years and is still very popular for its multiple benefits. This superficial peel is used to even out the skin tone, reduce the scars, smooth the fine lines and wrinkles, reduce dark patches and age spots, and treat acne scars, melasma, hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin C Peel:A popular option for those looking to fight the free radical damage on the skin. This includes damage from pollution, sun rays and cigarette smoke. The peel cleanses the skin pores and is anti-bacterial. Vitamin C Peel is also known to reduce face blemishes.
- Retinol Peel:This peel is best suited for those looking for skin rejuvenation and relief from acne. Retinol is a vitamin A derivative and when applied it improves skin cell turnover and renewal. It also hydrates the skin and reduces signs of ageing.
Medium Depth Peels
These peels reach mid layers the skin and work and skin cell turnover. This chemical peel treatment is done in a cosmetic surgeon’s office The most common type of medium depth peel is the TCA peel
- Trichloroacetic Acid Peels (TCA):This type of medium peel can be customized in various strengths to treat the skin concern. trichloroacetic acid removes the outer layer of the skin, gently. It can also be combined with salicylic acid. TCA peels are effective in treating pigments, sun damaged skin, deep wrinkles and acne scars, and melasma. They are also known as lunchtime peels and can be done without any discomfort. It is also a great choice for treating back and shoulder acne and acne marks. The results take about 7-8 days to show.
Deep peels reach the deep layers of the dermis and encourage skin cell treatment for a very dramatic and long lasting facial rejuvenation.
- The phenol peels:The main ingredient is carbolic acid along with the combination of other acids such as salicylic acid. The peel is usually done once a lifetime and produces the most dramatic results for the skin. the results take long to appear but it not never be done at home.
How to use chemical peels at home?
The superficial peels can be easily done at home. Make sure that you do a patch test before using peel on the body. follow the instructions on the package and make sure you only apply on a clean and dry skin. over layering the peels will not help. Make sure the peel does not get into the eyes, lips or other sensitive parts of the body. Let it stay for 5-10 mins and wash with plain water. if suggested, then use the soothing and moisturizing products as directed. Don’t over use the peels, stick to the recommended frequency.
Recovery and Side effects of chemical peels
When you apply the peel or when it is done in the doctor’s office, it is normal to feel some temporary and mild burning. Dryness, redness, and swelling on the skin is quite normal.
As the skin heals makes sure you avoid high sun exposure and apply sunscreen and moisturizer regularly. It is ok for the skin to feel lighter or darker skin tone for a few days post the peel application. It will normalize quickly. Avoid extreme temperatures and use the prescribed ointments as directed.
Deep chemical peels take the longest to heal. For superficial peel there is almost no downtime, for medical peel it is 5-7 days and deep chemical peels can take for longer than 10-15 days.
How is chemical peel treatment done in a clinic?
Mild to superficial peels do not require any painkillers but deep chemical peels need anaesthesia and sometimes even sedation. The steps for chemical peel include
- Cleansing the skin with a good cleanser to remove makeup and dirt
- Double cleansing with a jet of water to ensure no debris are left behind
- Application of petroleum jelly around the eyes, lips and nose to prevent peeling in those areas
- Application of peel on the skin. the number of coats depends on the skin condition and depth of peel selected
- After the required time the peel is removed gently and a mask is applied to sooth the skin
Full body chemical peel cost in India
A full body chemical peel cost in India is influenced with many factors and the prime ones are combination of peel solution and the expertise of the cosmetic surgeon. The more customized the solution is, the higher is the cost. If you combine other treatments like laser skin resurfacing or any other Medi-facials then thit will add to the cost of the full body chemical peel in India.
The price of chemical peels also varies with the number of sessions needed to get the results. For example, the pigmentation peels cost different than acne treatment peels. Simple rejuvenating peels are less pricy and can be done at home. Chemical peel treatments are cosmetic treatments and not covered by insurance. It is important that you chose a good dermatologist who can understand your skin over the price of the full body peel.