How can laser hair removal work?
Most of us have faced this issue sometimes in our lives when we want to wear our favourite sleeveless or short dress or a crop top or skirt but are not able to do so because we have not waxed or shaved yet. The same is the case of men, sometimes there is an important interview or date to go to and no time to shave and the body hair just does not fit do they? The simple solution is to get the hair removed permanently using lasers. In many cultures, too much facial hair is considered disfiguring and many feel conscious about the hair on their body. Some women suffer from hirsutism which seriously affects their quality of life and other social and interpersonal activities. Permanent hair removal using lasers can help control hair growth in hirsutism in women.
Laser treatment for hair removal is the buzzword today and many actors and models are opting for it as it gives them the freedom to wear whatever they want without having to worry about saloon appointments or relying on unreliable shavers. Permanent hair removal using a laser can be done on any body part including
- Bikini line
- Face (but not around the eyes)
Traditional hair removal practices have many disadvantages such as
- Waxing can be painful and cause damage to the skin
- Shaving causes ingrowths and needs to be repeated every second or third day
- The hair grows rougher after shaving
- Waxing needs to be done in frequent intervals
- Plucking is very painful and does not give results in larger areas
- There is always a risk of skin cuts and skin pulling in threading
Let’s take a look at full-body laser hair removal benefits
Lasers are a safe and easy way to remove body hair permanently but there are many other benefits of permanent hair removal as well.
- It is a long-term solution to hair growth. Once the hair follicles are dead, they do not grow hair. This means years and years of body hair-free life.
- They are very low maintenance. You might have to go for a touch-up every now and then but that is nothing compared to the time and energy wasted in shaving, waxing and plucking.
- Side effects of laser treatments are very rare. There is hardly any pain or increased skin sensitivity. You might notice some redness at the follicle but that goes away in 24-48 hours.
- These treatments are quick. Unlike other body hair removal treatments laser hair removal sessions are short and you can get back to work almost immediately. Lasers can treat an area about a size of a coin in just a second. For example, only 20 minutes are needed for the underarms or bikini area, and under a minute for the lips and legs and arms takes about only 1 hour.
- Get relief from all the ingrown hair. A big risk of shaving and waxing is ingrown hair that is not only ugly to look at but can also cause skin irritation. Laser hair removal does not have ingrown hair as a side effect.
- Lasers work great for sensitive skin.
- Laser treatments for hair removal are less painful than waxing, threading, tweezing.
- More safety. No longer need to worry about razor cuts or scaring or change in skin texture. Laser hair removal technology does no damage to the skin.
- Laser treatments are very precise. Lasers can be targeted to remove specific hair leaving the skin undamaged. Different lasers with different wavelengths can be used to target a small section of the skin or a particular area such as between your eyebrows or in beard shaping.
- Lasers have more benefits than side effects. Lasers are also skin rejuvenating and help you get rid of acne, acne marks, and dark spots to improve skin quality.
- Laser hair removal prices might seem high but if you do a budget calculation it works out much cheaper than the trip to the salons, shaving cream, razor costs, and the cost of your time. Most clinics offer an EMI option in laser hair removal treatments therefore it is not heavy on your pocket as a long-term solution.
How does laser hair removal work?
Our hair grows from the millions of follicles that are present in our skin. Each hair follicle has a unique cycle of growth, resting and shedding periods. Laser permanent hair removal treatment is targeted to destroy the hair follicles. The hair follicles are easy to target because of their contrasting colour to the surrounding skin. The pigment in the follicles absorbs the laser light. The heat generated by the lasers renders the hair follicles unable to generate or sustain any new hair. Dermatologists use triple wavelength lasers which are a combination of a diode laser, long pulse ND: YG laser and Alexandrite laser to treat different lengths and thicknesses of hair.
How many treatment sessions are needed?
On average about 6-8 treatment sessions are needed to completely remove the hair. 90% of people see permanent hair loss after a few treatment sessions. The number of treatments needed depends on
- Colour and coarseness of the hair
- Hormonal stimulus
- Area of the body
The sessions of laser hair removal are spaced four weeks apart. The hair in the resting period might not be visible and therefore the time is given between the sessions so that the hair can regrow. In areas with slow hair growth such as the back, the treatments are placed further apart such as 12-16 weeks. Hence each session of permanent hair removal using lasers helps achieve a certain level of reduction depending on the skill of the technician and the darkness and thickness that grows back. Since the laser targets melanin in the hair, many people also notice a significant reduction in the colour of the hair as they become lighter and less visible.
Am I as suitable candidate of laser hair removal
Laser hair removal works best for people who have darker hair with lighter skin tones and this makes it easier for the laser to target the follicles. laser hair removal, when done by an expert and the right machine is a great option for everyone i.e. all genders, skin tones, ages and even people with medical histories. However, this generalization does have some exceptions because laser hair removal is not recommended for women who are
- Going through puberty or menopause
If you are in the age group of teens to late 20s your body might still be undergoing hormonal changes and therefore it is possible that you notice new hair growth after the treatment. But don’t worry this can be easily treated with another round of hair removal.
Results of permanent hair removal
You will notice that a few of your hair is shed in a few days after the treatment. After the initial treatments are over your doctor will ask you to have yearly touch-up sessions. Some people go by years without a regrowth. Laser therapy gets rid of hair very effectively and prevents them from growing back for a long period of time. But consistency is the key to the best result with this treatment.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Yes, it is. However, in some people, few hairs might grow back in the targeted area because of various natural reasons. Hence periodic sessions are needed to eliminate all hair. The regrown hair is usually less noticeable than before because of the damaged follicle. Also in people who have too short hair or have hair that is resistant to treatment, laser hair removal might not work.
Getting ready for laser hair removal
It is not about just walking into a spa and asking for hair removal. Laser treatment for hair removal is a medical procedure and contains some potential risks. Before going in you should check the credentials of the practitioner or the doctor and ask about their experiences and qualification.
Before the treatment avoid
- Using hair removal creams
After laser treatment
- Avoid sun exposure for one day, after that using sunscreen is very important
- Do not use a tanning bed
- Avoid wearing makeup till the skin heals
- Don’t shower or bath immediately after treatment
Laser Hari Removal Side Effects and Risks
With the post-laser treatment, your skin might feel a little sunburned. The doctor will give you cool compresses and moisturizers to cool the skin. There is rarely any scarring or changes in skin colour but some swelling and redness are common it goes away in one or two days. People with dark skin might notice some change in skin colour but it is temporary.
How much Laser hair Removal Cost
Laser hair removal prices vary and depend on many factors including
- Size of the area being treated
- Time required for the treatment
- Regrowth of hair
- Number of treatments
- The skill of the technician or the doctor
- Geographical location
Since it is a cosmetic procedure, insurance does not cover permanent hair removal using lasers.
Leave a Reply