Preparing for Laser Hair Removal: Do’s and Don’ts
Hairless skin has been in style and will remain in style for years to come. Hair removal is one of the most common beauty treatments sought by women and men worldwide. The traditional methods of hair removal include plucking, waxing, shaving and using hair removal creams. None of these give long term results or are pain free.
Not to mention the risk of rashes, ingrowths and infections on skin that come with these methods. Today the hair removal methods have changed a lot but the expectations are still the same: to get the smooth, attractive arms, legs, and other parts of body with little pain and more comfort. This is possible by the modern method of laser hair removal.
Unwanted hair removal from the body using the latest lasers is the safest and convenient way to a hair free skin even from the bikini area.
How does laser hair removal work?
It is a cosmetic treatment. The laser beams target the hair follicles deep in the patient’s skin. They pick the hair follicles because of the pigment melanin in the hair and do not damage the rest of the skin. The light energy from the laser coverts into heat energy and warms up the follicles. This disrupts the growth cycle and interrupts the hair growth.
In couple of weeks post a laser treatment, the existing hair begin to shed and the new hair growth becomes very slow and eventually comes down to negligible hair growth. The new hair the grow during this cycle is very fine and thing and barely noticeable. Lasers can be safely used on legs, arms, underarms, armpits, back, stomach, neck, face (including upper lip and chin) and bikini area. Lasers cannot be used on tattooed areas and areas surrounding the eyes. Multiple hair are targeted in one session of the laser hair removal.
Lasers work on the principle that the pigment in hair is different than the pigment of the skin. The hair follicles should absorb the light and not the skin. The contrast between the skin colour and hair colour plays an important role in this. Dark hair colour with light skin gives best results. Lasers might not be that effective for people who have grey, red, blond and white hair colours as they do not absorb the light well. Best laser hair removal clinic in Mumbai will do a thorough skin analysis before recommending permanent hair removal treatments.
Permanent hair removing using lasers is not a one session treatment. Multiple sessions at regular interval is needed to target the hair follicles in all growth stages. At a minimum 4-6 treatments are needed to get visible long-lasting results. The treatments are placed four to eight weeks apart. Some patients may also need regular touch ups depending on the hair growth cycle. The results of laser hair removal are cumulative and they become more noticeable and impressive with each treatment cycle. Once the continuous hair growth stops, all you will notice is how smooth your skin looks and feels.
In some cases, some people might see some hair growth because of hormonal fluctuations especially around pregnancy. This can be easily addressed during touch up treatments. Laser hair removal in Mumbai is very safe and if you want to get the best results with shortest downtime then there are a few pre-treatment preparations that you need to follow. Best Laser Hair Removal Clinic in Mumbai endorse the following guidelines for patients:
For a few months before the treatment
- Start avoiding the sun. Reduce the time of exposure to the harmful sun rays, or tanning beds or self-tanners. Wear a sun screen every three hours with an SPF factor of minimum 40 and above. This will ensure that your skin has even skin tone and retains its base colour. Tanning causes damage to the skin and increases its sensitivity to the treatment. tanning can also cause laser burns. In tanned skin the laser might mistake the skin pigment as hair pigment. Also wear a hat and full sleeved breathable clothes to protect the skin.
- Stop hair removal treatments: This might seem strange but your cosmetologist will tell you to stop going for waxing appointments a few months before the laser hair removal in Mumbai. You should also stay away from epilating, tweezing, threading, or anything that pulls the hair from its roots. If there are no hair in the follicle the laser will have nothing to target.
- Thirdly there are certain medications that need to be stopped months before starting the laser treatment. These include blood thinners, anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, topical retinol products, acne products and hormone treatments. If you are using any such medication then ask your doctor if you can stop them without risks. The drugs in your system increase photosensitivity of the skin can cause skin damage post laser treatment. Inform the dermatologist about the medications you have been on.
Weeks before permanent laser hair removal
As you come closer to the date of your appointment, its time to be more vigilant about your skin. here is all that you need to avoid and take care
- Stop taking antibiotic, retin-A treatments, and Aspirin etc. two weeks before the treatment. This will reduce sensitivity of the skin
- Avoid using any products that cause skin exfoliation such as glycolic acid, lactic acid, benzoyl peroxide etc. exfoliating the skin can cause the laser to not work as effective as intended.
- Continue using sunscreen diligently and keep the skin protected from sunlight.
- Go easy on skin care products. Don’t try out the new products unless the cosmetic surgeon has asked for them. Some skin care ingredients can make your skin sensitive to pain and increase damage changes such as discoloration, redness and even scaring. Use gentle cleansers and moisturizers for keeping the skin health.
Before the appointment
- Clean your skin. Make sure that the area that is to be treatment is clean of dirt, creams, makeup and pollutants. Lotions and other impurities on the skin can scatter the light of laser and reduce the effectiveness of laser. Clean skin lets the laser reach directly to the hair follicles.
- Remove hair from the skin surface: One or two days before laser hair removal treatment in Mumbai shave or use a hair removal cream on your skin to get rid of the hair. This way the hair remains in the root and the laser can target. Also, when there is no hair on the surface, the lesser is the chance of getting burned by the laser. The closer you shave to your appointment the better it is. Don’t shave the area where you don’t want the hair to be removed.
- Stop drinking alcohol: Alcohol causes dehydration and dries out the skin surface. It can make the laser hair remove painful for you. The skin becomes sensitive because of alcohol (24 hours before the session).
- Don’t use makeup or deodorant or perfume on the skin to be treated on the day of the appointment.
- Avoid drinking coffee or other nicotine drinks before your laser treatment appointment. Coffee can cause the same discomfort on the skin just like alcohol.
Laser hair removal is avoided on patient’s who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive. If you are on your periods then laser hair removal cannot be done on the bikini area. Lasers are also not advised just after Botox and Dermal filler treatments. If you have had any such recent procedure done then wait for two weeks for the injectables to settle down. Lasers before that time can cause swelling and redness in the treatment areas.
Permanent Laser Hair Removal Cost
Permanent laser hair removal in Mumbai is a popular cosmetic treatment that offers a long-term solution for unwanted hair. In Mumbai, the cost of permanent laser hair removal can vary depending on several factors, such as the size of the treatment area, the number of sessions required, and the type of laser used.
On average, the cost of permanent laser hair removal in Mumbai can range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 15,000 per session. The cost may be higher for larger treatment areas such as the legs, back, or chest. It is important to note that multiple sessions are usually required to achieve optimal results, and the cost for hair removal can add up over time.
It is also important to consider the reputation and experience of the clinic or practitioner offering the treatment. Lower prices may be tempting, but it is important to ensure that the provider is qualified and experienced in performing laser hair removal. Choosing an experienced and reputable provider can help minimize the risk of complications and ensure that the treatment is effective and safe.
Additionally, the type of laser used can also affect the cost of the treatment. Nd:YAG and diode lasers are commonly used for permanent hair removal in Mumbai, and they may vary in price. The ND:YAG laser is generally more expensive than the diode laser, but it is more effective on darker skin tones. It is important to choose an experienced and reputable provider and to consider the type of laser used to ensure the best possible results.